Monday 27 May 2013

Wikipedia Every Students Dream Source

While doing this weeks readings I learned many new things about crowdsourcing and Wikipedia. There were many things I didn't know about it such as it being a crowdsourcing tool. I never would have thought of this because I was just using the site as a source of information that would take lots of time of researching.  All I knew was that professors told students that they could not use it for assignments. When people ask me if (insert person's name) was born in 1986 I usually tell them "one second let me go look on Wikipedia to see if that information is true." Wikipedia has been my go to site for information about sports players careers and what teams they have played on before or what team drafted them into the league. Also using wikipedia I would look up my favourite music artist to see when he/she was going to have an album out and who is suppose to be on that album. 

There were lots of great comments  I got from fellow classmates. There were some parts of these comments that really stood out to me. @cour882 brought up "the fact that they do not welcome the common certified writer to post their views of the subject is disturbing." I would agree with her on this comment because like @DigitalAdBlog said in his comments it would be nice to use wikipedia as sources and without having certified writers this is not possible. This would make Wikipedia every students dream source for making assignment for school. Although this is not in place as of now, Wikipedia does give other solutions to this by having footnotes from where there information is from. 

No comments:

Post a Comment